I remember my Grammar lecture. We were taught ‘ Simple ‘ Tense in verbs.It was a clear hint about the road ahead. The path in the World of Grammar was not ‘Simple’! 😃 Simplicity is a way of life. If we insert a Filter of Simplicity in our thoughts and minds, life will be easier.
Here is my attempt to make life simpler. Few ways to lead a simple life:
1) Focus and Multitasking
Multitasking is time saving. It can be stressful as well. Find out how many tasks you can simultaneously handle. Focus on those tasks accordingly.
2) Do not expect 100% perfection either from yourself or from others. Excessive expectations, perfection can ruin self esteem, self worth, confidence, relationships. Accept and move ahead.
3) Be organized in your space. Be it the kitchen, the living room, study table, work desk- any place or space. Remember the management principle-” There should be a place for everything and everything should be in it’s place. ” If you put a knife in a particular drawer, put it there after use. If you forget ‘what’is kept ‘where’ ?, label it. You can even write the contents’ details in a Book.
4) Planning and Preparation helps to keep things simple and also reduces worries.
For example, if you are planning to take homemade food in your lunchbox, make the preparation before going to bed. The next day, the meal can be made quickly. For eg., If you intend to make ‘Roti Sabzi’ ( Indian bread and vegetables with tempering), it is an efficient idea to knead the dough needed to make rotis, store the dough in an airtight container and refrigerate it, overnight itself. Similarly, to make vegetable making easier the next day, you can cut them overnight and pressure cook them, if needed. The tadka ( Tempering ) can be done the next day.
In a professional setup, if you are well prepared, it will be a great relief for you.
For eg., You have an important client meeting. Your life will be simpler if you
A) Study the client company’s needs and product lines.
B) Know your company’s position and performance.
C) Know your department’s situation, performance, strength, weakness.
D) Revising the presentation, discussion papers, documents, PowerPoint presentation, with concentration.
E) Studying the history, minutes of earlier meetings with the client.
5) Keep track of expenses and incomes regularly- periodically-daily or weekly or fortnightly or monthly or any other time interval.
6) Enjoy your own company.
Your spouse may be busy with his work, his social life. Your child will be busy with school and his own friends. Have ways of enjoying alone too. If you want to watch a particular movie, you do not have company, either because your spouse , children, friends have other commitments or the movie simply doesn’t appeal to them, so what? Go , watch the movie, enjoy yourself.
7) Enjoy life in daily, routine pleasures .
The rising sun, setting sun, stars, moon, moonlight, jumping squirrels, the mischievous cat, the blossomed flowers, the melodious song, the ‘ have you giggling ‘ silly mistake of yours- anything can be a pleasure!
8) ‘Call Spade a Spade’ approach
If you like something, say it. If you don’t like something, say it ( if needed ). ‘ if needed ‘ means if not saying it will hurt you, then say it !
9) It is not essential to be good at everything.
Find what you are good at, what interests you, what you can improve, what you need to be good at, what you need not be good at. What is simply not your cup of tea ….
10) Enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy.
11) Reduce the negativity from your mind space.
Negativity can be a person, or taunts, back biting , mock, scorn, ridicule, insult, physical, emotional , verbal abuse, any action , which you do not like. Seek help, if it is serious. If you can handle it on your own, do it with courage. Stay away from such negativity. The more mind space such people and their words, their actions occupy, the more negative you will feel, the more physically and emotionally draining, it will be for you.That will spoil your life. Remember the rule of Mathematics,
” If a negative number is there, it’s identity will eliminate only if it is multiplied by zero or it is added with a higher valued positive number or it is multiplied by a negative number.”
-5 is there. How will you reduce its value or make it positive?
Approach I) -5*0= 0
Assign zero value to negativity in your mind.Ignore it.
Approach II) -5 + 20= +15
Do more positive actions, thereby eliminating negativity .
Approach III) -5* -20=+ 100
Retaliate to negativity strongly. Sweep it away from your life. You will emerge stronger , better, wiser.
12) Be prepared for shocks, surprises, failures, spontaneity as well.
I succeed in simplifying at times, I fail at times.😃 So, insert the ‘Simple’ filter in your mind and observe how it works ! 😃
( in response to the WordPress daily prompts, ‘Simple’ and ‘Filter’.)